Reflections of a New Teacher

These are my reflections beginning from my first few days as a student teacher and on...

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Not on my "A Game"

Today I'm just not on my "A Game", as Chris would say. I don't know whether I've got a light cold or if it's just severe allergies or even a sinus infection, but I've taken more pills for sinuses in the last week than I have in the last year. I just can't "deal with" the symptoms when I'm around the kids the way I could in class before... usually I avoid medicine at all costs. Yes, I've been taking my vitamins, etc. Anyway, whatever it is, I woke up at around 4:15am with itchy ears and a nasal cavity so dry that it was extremely painful. By the time I got back to bed around 5am, I only had about an hour until I woke up again... and I'd had a hard time falling asleep the night before... so overall it just wasn't a great sleep night. Now not only am I dealing with the lack of sleep but I've still got the symptoms even with the medicine. My head is in a cloud and I just feel really slow. Lucky for me there isn't much that I'm in charge of today...

I observed the literacy teacher testing students with the QRI and I even did a practice one along with her, so that was a good experience. For all of you non-education people, the QRI is a system for assessing a student's literacy level. As they read a passage we follow along on our own sheet, noting any differences such as any word omissions or additons and of course any words that they might have problems with. There is a section for testing comprehension at the end. After that I had a few students read out loud to me, and they're all great readers. The best part was trying to explain the "investment" on which Muffy earned "interest" in "Arthur Loses his Tooth" to a second grader who definitely doesn't know about investing money. Hehe. Another student cracks me up... he's been reading a book about CU Football, and he'll call me over to show me pictures from all the games he has been to. Funny thing is that the pictures are from 1988 and 1995... he wasn't born yet :o)

1 Comments:

  • At 8/30/2006 03:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hang in there... it sucks to be sick at work, especially at the kind of job where you have to be paying attention at all times. As for cleaning the teacher's lounge, we have a similar problem at my work with the kitchen... in spite of all attempts to post flyers about it being a "self-cleaning" kitchen, it still gets messy. The worst is the refrigerator... we found stuff in there from about 1990 I think. So gross. We put a sign up sheet for cleaning, and it seems to have worked for us. Just a thought.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home